Click on LeftHandNav to enable/disable feature
Select text box below to input content
Agawam’s first golf course was designed and built in 1895 by Willie Park, Jr. of Musselburgh, Scotland, in 1895. It was a 9 holes course. The first full size course was designed by Donald James Ross in 1920. The former Metacomet Golf Course was purchased by Agawam at that time and
there have been many renovations over the years. In1963 The Board approved the 200-yard increase in the length of the course, the expansion of three par 5 holes and four par-3 holes and the increase to par 71 of the entire course. The famous 14th hole was reconfigured to become the 3rd hole. In 1964 the City of East Providence requisitioned 27 acres containing the 5th, 12th, and 13th holes. With the proceeds from the sale the Club purchased 6 acres of land owned by William C.H. Brandt. Geoffrey S. Cornish, the golf course architect, redesigned several holes and added the 7th and 15th on the newly acquired Brandt property.
Fred B. Dinger was hired as caddy master in 1925 and stayed on as an employee of Agawam for 45 years. He was appointed Manager in charge of the entire golf course in 1944. After his death the annual member-guest tournament was named after him - The Dinger Tournament.
Agawam has a long history of hosting tournaments. In 1923 the Championship Trophy for Men’s Golf was established. Agawam hosted the RI Golf Tournament in 1930 and later the women's golf team won the RI State Team Championship. Agawam serves as a United States Open qualifier site and is a member of the USGA and the RIGA. Agawam is in the regular rotation of major championships hosted by the RIGA. We have also hosted the Rhode Island Men’s Senior Tournament.
Paul Butler was Agawam's golf pro from 1969–1994 with a short break at Sun Valley in Rehoboth. Norman Alberigo joined Agawam in 1995 and remains with us today.
Also contributing to our success and acclaim is Course Superintendent Drew Cummins who joined us in 2008.